11 Sept 2022

If You Could Go Anywhere.. By Paige Toon


You all know that anything Paige Toon writes, I will read. I feel like she could rewrite the phone book and I'd have it on the top of my list. With the announcement of Paige's newest release Only Love Can Hurt Like This next year, I thought I would share this review I wrote a couple years back for If You Could Go Anywhere.

The blurb:
How do you find where you're going, if you don't know where you're from... 

Angie has always wanted to travel. But at twenty-seven, she has barely stepped outside the small mining town where she was born. Instead, she discovers the world through stories told to her by passing travellers, dreaming that one day she'll see it all for herself. 

When her grandmother passes away, leaving Angie with no remaining family, she is ready to start her own adventures. Then she finds a letter revealing the address of the father she never knew, and realises instantly where her journey must begin: Italy. 

As Angie sets out to find the truth - about her family, her past and who she really is - will mysterious and reckless Italian Alessandro help guide the way?


My thoughts:
Anyone who has read a post of mine for one of Paige's previous releases, or follows my Twitter, will be expecting this to a gushing review. They are not wrong. I honestly can't pinpoint what it is about her writing that has me staying up to 2am every time, but once again that is exactly what happened. Maybe it's the fact I've always wanted to visit Australia and feel a strong connection to the country (this story and many others are partly set in Australia). Whatever it is that Paige does - for me, it works.

This story is based around Angie and her quest to learn more about the father she never knew. Her grandmother passes away leaving her alone in the world and just at that time, she learns her father is an Italian man who still lives and works where her mother met him 27 years ago. So of course she sets off to find him and all the drama that comes with a new family in Italy.

If I'm really honest, the plot didn't go where I was expecting it to but I think it turned out so much better than originally anticipated. It was lovely to watch the relationship between Angie and Gulio, her father, grow throughout the book but the most intriguing relationship was Angie and Allessandro. I couldn't tell where they were going to end up by the end and usually I have quite good instincts for how things will work out. I really like how we, the readers, were kept on our toes throughout!

I loved getting to know Angie and following her adventure around Italy! I particularly enjoyed the development of her character - she starts off quite timid and lacking in confidence, and it really was a pleasure seeing her grow into a strong, confident woman.

Once again, Paige has knocked it out of the park. Not that anyone should be surprised. You can pick up a copy of If You Could Go Anywhere here and follow Paige on Twitter and Instagram.




SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© orlaghmc reads. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig