15 Jun 2015

A Girl Like You... by Gemma Burgess


This book isn't newly released but it definitely deserves a review spot up on my blog! Gemma Burgess is such a talented writer and A Girl Like you is without a doubt in my top 5 favourite books of all time.

Here's what the blurb says:

I've discovered the secret to successful singledom. I'm acting like a man. And it's working.

After breaking up with her boyfriend of, well, forever, Abigail Wood must learn how to be single from scratch. Her dating skills are abysmal, and she ricochets from disaster to disaster – until Robert, one of London's most notorious lotharios, agrees to coach her. With his advice, she learns to navigate the bastard-infested waters of the bar scene and practices the art of being bulletproof.


The new Abigail is cocky, calm, composed… but what happens when she meets her match?

Here's what I thought:

LOVE LOVE LOVE! I can't praise this novel enough. Gemma really brings her characters to life in this story and you honestly feel like you could be reading a story about your best friends. Amazing!

The story focuses on Abigail and her many dating disasters. Robert is Abigail's new flatmate and one of London's most eligible bachelors who is full of advice for Abigail on what to do and what not to do when it comes to dating - some of which she listens to, most of which she shouldn't. One of my favourite things about this story is how differently men and women view dating - it's interesting to read what Abigail and Robert think about situations and how different their opinions are.

The best part of this story is Abigail and Roberts friendship, it is absolutely hilarious. It really is one of my favourite relationships in any book that I've ever read. Its relatable, endearing and very, very funny! From hungover mornings eating crumpets to new years eve pub crawls - you will love these two. Most significantly, both characters develop massively throughout the book which I think is always important, no matter what the genre or setting.

Abigail and Robert's circle is completed by her sister Sophie, Sophie's fiancée and Robert's best mate, Luke, as well as Plum and Henry, Abigail's friends from university. The six of them share dating stories, good and bad, that will make you laugh and cry the whole way through!

I really couldn't recommend this book enough and I think Gemma Burgess has done an amazing job with Abigail's story. LOVE LOVE LOVE!

You can purchase A Girl Like You here. Make sure and follow Gemma on Twitter and check out her other books here (which I also recommend, I've read them all too).

Thanks for reading,
Orlagh
xoxo


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© orlaghmc reads. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig